Frequently Asked Questions
PROGRAM AND PARTNERSHIP
In order to complete the licensing process, you will be required to provide basic information about your pet and a few critical pieces of information about yourself including your name, address, and contact information. However, once you have completed the licensing process, you are encouraged add extra information about your dog or cat in their online accounts, including photos!
The Town of Ajax and DocuPet have partnered up to offer an enhanced Pet Ownership Program for Ajax residents. The DocuPet solution includes online licence payments, pet tag distribution, customer service, renewal notice distribution, and community awareness campaigns. Pet owners must now license through the DocuPet program in order to secure an Ajax pet licence.
Your pet licence includes the following:
- Unique Pet Tag: Our tags are a bit different than what you might be used to. Each tag has a unique ID code that is specific to your pet. Our high-quality zinc alloy tag has a special code on the back that is unique to your pet and this code is associated to an online profile which you can manage from your DocuPet account.
- Online Profile: Your pet’s online profile allows you to store your contact information, additional pet information and a photo of your pet. Here you can choose what information is visible to the public through your privacy settings.
- Lost Pet Program: Our Lost Pet System is a free online tool designed to connect pet owners and their community to share updates about the whereabouts and condition of lost pets. Your pet’s tag is engraved with a unique identifying code that is tied directly to their online profile. This code is what allows both you and members of your community to easily and efficiently communicate through our system’s Lost and Found Pet Reports.
- DocuPet Rewards Program: DocuPet has teamed up with local businesses to provide discounts to licence holders. Take advantage of special deals offered through the DocuPet Rewards program. Click here to check out the exclusive offers available to you. Show your Rewards Card at any of our participating partners to receive great deals on all sorts of products and services, including many that your furry friend will love.
Your municipality is working with DocuPet to provide online pet licensing and renewal to residents. All licensing is done through the DocuPet system. However, you do not have to opt in to the additional services that DocuPet provides.
DocuPet provides pet licensing services for municipalities. Our mission is to provide a safe and happy home for every pet. Our licensing platform and supporting programs are designed to make the licensing process convenient and enjoyable for pet owners and administrators alike. We accomplish this by:
- Offering online and over the phone options that allow pet owners to license their pets from the comfort of their own homes, or pop in to a vendor location to quickly license in person
- Increasing awareness of the program’s requirements and benefits through online advertising, mail-outs, email campaigns, digital signage and community awareness programs
- Helping pets find their way home if ever lost through our proven Lost Pet System
- Building the pet owner and pet business community through our online pet profiles, Lost Pet Brigade, and DocuPet Rewards program
- Providing an enhanced experience - from our pet tags to our exceptional customer service team
For more information about DocuPet, see www.docupet.com.
LICENSING OPTIONS, DATES, AND LOCATIONS
Currently you can only license your dog or cat for one year at a time. Sorry!
A service dog is a dog that has been trained to provide assistance to a person with a disability that relates to that person’s disability.
If you wish to license from the comfort of home, you can do so online here, or over the phone by calling 1-855-249-1370 between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST.
If you wish to license in person, learn about your options here.
If you do not have an email you will need to license your pet in person at one of the participating locations listed here.
A guide dog is a dog trained as a guide for a blind person and having the qualifications prescribed by the regulations under the Blind Person’s Rights Act.
Currently, you can license your dog for one, two, or three years at a time. Cats can be voluntarily licensed for one year at a time.
We need your email address to create a unique ID for your account and to provide a way for you to verify your account.
FEES AND FINES
TAGS AND REWARDS CARDS
Your DocuPet Rewards card is your proof that you belong to our Rewards Program. Show your Rewards Card at any of our participating partners to receive great deals on all sorts of products and services, including many that your furry friend will love.
Please get in touch with us! We stand by the quality of our tags and if yours has worn within one year of purchase and is no longer legible we will replace it free of charge once provided with proof of the wear.
If it’s your first time licensing a new pet, along with your pet tag you will receive two Rewards Cards and your new Membership Package!
If you are renewing a licence, you may get a new tag or new Rewards Cards, but it’s up to you to indicate you wish to receive these!
You can order and pay for a replacement tag online by logging into your account and selecting the "Order Replacement Tags" link. Alternatively, you can visit an associated sales vendor to purchase a replacement tag.
Your pet tag will come in the mail regardless if you license online, over the phone, or in person. Please allow for 5-10 business days to receive your tag and use your receipt as proof of licence in the meantime!
LOST PET SYSTEM
When you log into your account, the first page you see has a list of your licensed pet(s) and beside your lost pet will be a "Report Fido Found" button.
As a member of the Lost Pet Brigade, you are not obliged to do anything at all, but if you are available to help and see that the pet was last seen in your area, we would hope that you would take the time to look around your immediate vicinity. This is your way of "paying it forward" should you ever need the assistance of the Lost Pet Brigade yourself!
Please! Because we engage a whole community of pet lovers when you report your pet lost and we appreciate being updated as soon as possible when your pet is found so we can let everyone know the search is off.
You are always in control of what information is visible to the public through your pet's tag. Go update your privacy settings by logging into your account and click "Privacy Settings" on the far right-hand menu.
Administrators trained to look up pet IDs when lost pets arrive. They will contact you should your pet arrive at the pound even if you haven't issued a Lost Pet alert. Your pet must be licensed with your municipality to receive this service.
You control the information included in a Lost Pet Alert through your "Lost Pet" privacy settings. These privacy settings can be edited at any time from within your online profile. During the process of reporting your pet lost you will be asked to review this information and can edit it if necessary.
When you report your pet found we will inform everyone within the lost pet brigade, remove your pet's profile from the "Lost Pet's" page and breathe a big sigh of relief!
Report your pet lost by logging into your account. The first page you see has a list of your licensed pet(s) and beside each pet is a "Report Fido Lost" button. You should always check with your local animal shelter as well.
If you licensed your pet in person you can gain access to your online account by activating your account here.
DocuPet's Lost Pet Service allows you to control the information that is displayed from your pet's tag and sends alerts to local pet lovers who want to be part of the program!
PET INFORMATION AND PROFILES
We’re sorry! Unfortunately unless you tell us a pet is no longer in your care, we have no way of knowing. Have you already told us? You may have a duplicate account. Get in touch with the DocuPet customer service team to update your record by calling 1-855-249-1370 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can update this information in your online account, call us at 1-855-249-1370 or email us at email@example.com to let us know of the passing of your pet.
Your pet’s information can be edited on your online profile at any time by logging into your account. If you don’t have access to a computer you can update your pet’s information by calling DocuPet at 1-855-249-1370 or visiting any of our associated sales vendors.
COMMUNITY AWARENESS (DOOR TO DOOR PROGRAM)
No, community representatives will not be enforcing the by-laws. They are educating the public about the pet licensing by-law and promoting awareness of the DocuPet program.
Our community representatives are only visiting homes to drop off information. They are not equipped to license at someone's door. DocuPet offers several convenient options to license online and over the phone. You may also visit a vendor location to license in person.
Contact DocuPet’s customer service team at 1-855-249-1370 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
CITY INFORMATION AND BYLAWS
Dogs are required to wear their identification tag at all times.
You sure do, it’s the law!
Yes, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times, except when they are on your property or on the property of someone who has given permission for your dog to go unleashed.
DATA AND TECHNOLOGY
DocuPet’s services are in accordance with Legislated requirements.
Any information input into the DocuPet system by administrative staff, or entered into our website where the user chooses not to agree to DocuPet's Terms of Service is 100% municipality owned and is not used by DocuPet in except to administrate the licensing program on behalf of the municipality.
Users who choose to agree to DocuPet's Terms of Service are agreeing to share their information with DocuPet and as such are given access to their online profile and have the ability to use DocuPet's Lost Pet System. This is not mandatory for licensing online or in person.
No, DocuPet does not share/sell information to a third party.
DocuPet is built using modern web technologies and works best with an up-to-date web browser. Updating your web browser is free-of-charge and highly recommended to ensure you stay safe online.
DocuPet currently supports the latest two versions of the browsers listed below, unless otherwise noted:
- Internet Explorer (the latest version)
- Edge (the latest version)
- Safari (the latest version)
- Google Chrome for Android
- Apple Safari for iOS
If you are experiencing problems loading pages, forms or content; please ensure you are running at least the browser versions listed.
Are you a Pet Owner?
License your pet(s) with the Town of Ajax and get:
- A rewards card to redeem deals from local businesses
- Access to an online pet account
- Free Lost Pet Program